Saturday, August 20, 2005

show and tell

Okay it's time. I can't hold it in anymore. I'm so proud I'm bursting! But I'm not done yet, so all you get are sneak peeks. Here:

I am knitting!
It's my first knitting project since the mandatory baby hat we knitted in school and it's made from pure determination. "I can do this" is my mantra, and I'm even following a pattern to make a beautiful feather pattern in this huge shawl / blanket I'm making. If any of my friends is having a baby soon they'll get the most beautiful stroller blanket ever... The problem is - I love the pattern, I love the colors, but I don't really wear striped things, and I think I have to add a full skein to get to the length I want it to be - more blanket sized. One of my favorite things to do is to curl up on my couch in my favorite big cardigan with a cup of tea and a good book when the rain is pouring outside, but with this thing I think my cardi will get competition for my attention come November... I don't really care that it's a bit strange and striped. It's mine and I made it! The first project is supposed to be bit weird, knotty and crazy right?
Hey, experienced knitters out there! Tell me about your first projects!

Furthermore I just have to show you my earrings! I so love them, and working in the design museum - what can be more appropriate than having chairs in your ears?


Very cute huh?

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are knitting a feather shawl as your first project! Do you have a more experienced knitter holding your hand? Some of the people I've taught to knit have picked rather daunting first projects, but they had me to walk them through each step. I can't imagine doing a feather shawl on my own. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:18 PM

    It's beautiful, like anything else you touch. and Here's hoping that we can the competition between your cardigan and the shawl even wider.

    so wonderful,
    like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:45 PM

    That shawl looks fantastic, Lisa! Is it in Kureyon? Feel like showing off more? I'd love to see more photos... :)

    First projects, huh? When I decided to learn to knit, I tried the usual approach of making a scarf. It was eventful, I chose the wrong needles for the yarn (I had no idea how to choose needles for yarn!) and didn't know much about making a scarf, so in the end it is not something I use, though I am still proud of it. I even removed the section with all the mistakes when I was done, picked up the live stitches and knit back in the other direction so it would look good. :)

    Your earrings are lovely, so charming. I am eagerly anticipating my next clue, I'll tell you when it arrives... ;)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:37 AM

    Ditto to what Mandy said... it's gorgeous and sure looks like Kureyon, but that could be my Noro-addicted self talking.

    My first project. Hmm. I think it was your basic garter stitch dishcloth. I don't think I even have it any more. Second project was an ill-conceived tank from a Family Circle Easy Knitting project. *shudder* I need to block those memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:29 PM

    Great earrings! Och så är du en hejare på att sticka, det ser ju en och var. Sötsnut.

    ReplyDelete