Thursday, September 08, 2005

lacey

I must be nuts. Shouldn't I still be knitting square potholders? Ok, I have practiced (one secret project finished), but the new issue of Knitty just presented me with an irresistable, yet very challenging, challenge: Lacey.

Seriously, how wonderful wouldn't that look on me, done in a grayish lilac? Really? So, I went through the pattern and I actually understood everything but one little detail, and that doesn't come up until the end, and I'm sure the piece itself will explain it to me come that. Wish me luck you guys! I intend to buy yarn tomorrow!

There is so much I should have written this past week. My life's gone completely crazy and I've worked as I've never worked before. Loving almost every second of it. Some has been tough though.

I learned a very valuable lesson this week for example. It begins with an article I wrote in June. It was a review of an exhibition at the design museum, presenting the diploma projects of this years graduates of the design and crafts university. Published in a Swedish branch magazine I know a lot of people read it, and I hoped I had been able to describe how inspired I was by the exhibition, since design students seem to have other views of architecture than me. Views I love to learn from.

However - me, the architect who wrote a diploma work about misunderstandings in and about my profession - was gravely misunderstood, and a very angry design student has written a debate letter to the magazine fiercely critisizing my piece for being prejudice and condecending towards designers. He is clearly mad at all the "elitist architects who think they're better than everyone else", and he thought I was one of them! I hadn't even begun to imagine that anyone could read that between the lines of my article. With my great fear of conflict and sometimes very low self esteem, I lost a lot of sleep the night to Tuesday pondering over how to phrase my answer. It's now written and done, and I hope the matter is finished, but I learned to read and listen to my own words with different attitudes, before assuming that others think the way I do...

When I'm not misunderstood or overrated (another workrelated problem this week - I can't do three people's jobs however much I'd like to) I really do love the life I'm creating for myself professionally. I only wish I knew more about the turns my private life is about to take, or not take, whatever the outcome is.

And I wish I could buy that yarn tonight and get started already...

4 comments:

Dani In NC said...

You are brave, girl! I have been knitting for years and I don't knit the tangy patterns in Knitty. My kids interrupt me too much to focus on a complicated pattern. I can't wait to see yours so I can live vicariously :-).

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hate conflict and misunderstandings, too, and there's nothing like forgetting about it for a minute and then remembering. Good for you for taking care of yourself. Sounds like that design student has his own issues....

Anonymous said...

Hey doll, don't forget that anytime you say *anything*, there are bound to be people that disagree with you. I know it sucks and of course you want to clear it up. Just don't forget that evereyone has their own baggage that they bring to everything they read or see or hear.
And I can't wait to see your Lacey! I should let you know, though, that the yarn you have chosen, while being unspeakably delicious, is also too thin for that pattern. If you want to use this yarn, you will need to use at least 2 strands held together, which will look wonderful, but you will have to pay very close attention while you are knitting it. Or you could just use a thicker mohair (on that comes in balls with approx. 90-110m/50g would be closer to the original yarn). :)

Anonymous said...

Wait, I didn't mean "disagree", I meant "misunderstand". Sorry!! I should have reread my comment before posting. :P
xoxox