Saturday, September 17, 2005

Willy Wonka

I never laugh out loud watching movies. I rarely cry. Tonight I laughed so hard I cried, and then I cried just for the beauty of it.

Give it to Tim Burton to improve one of my favorite children's books! He made the chocolate factory come alive in Burton-esque splendour!

He gave Willy Wonka a background and explained his weirdness. He invented a sadist dentist and gave the part Christopher Lee. He gave a not so subtle salute to Kubrick by including his "2001 a Space Odyssey" in the most spectacular manner. He chose the right actor for every part... And Johnny Depp is now the only Willy Wonka there is. Sorry Gene Wilder - you don't stand a chance.

I had longed for this movie for a year and it was every bit as magical as I had hoped for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it wonderful? We children who read the book obsessively LOVED it, didn't we? You're right, Gene was funny, but had nothing on our Johnny.